Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sunday Attire...Is It Appropriate for All Day?

A question that has been reoccurring through my life is whether you should wear your Sunday clothes all day or just those few hours immediately around your Sunday worship services?  I don't know that I have the answer, but I do have my answer.

It seems to me that the Sabbath is a full day, 24 hours, from midnight to midnight.  However, I don't believe in extremes.  So you don't need to sleep in your Sunday clothing but I think you should wear it longer than just to worship.  To me the Sabbath is a day to put aside earthly whims and desires and focus more on the spiritual.  I find this hard to do at church with many class members not prepared for the lesson (however, I can't say that I'm always prepared either).  But if you can't focus on the spiritual at church what is going to change things towards God at home?

It doesn't seem like too big of a sacrifice to get up in the morning, get dressed in your Sunday best, attend your worship services and then stay dressed the rest of the day.  When it is night, get ready for bed.  Staying in your Sunday clothes helps to temper the activities of the day and gives you the advantage of remembering it is the Sabbath, whether you spend time praying, reading scriptures, or any of 100 different activities deemed appropriate for Sundays.

Would I consider it a sin to wear jeans on Sunday.  No, not really, but I don't imagine that you'd catch me wearing them very often.  However, we should keep in mind that if we're doing activities that distract us from the spiritual then you'd be walking a fine line.  In my mind, clothing helps set the mood and attitude.  So whether you wear jeans or a tux, ultimately it doesn't matter; what matters is if you can keep yourself focused on the spiritual aspects of the Sabbath day.

No comments: